Hi,

On 05/02/2015 10:40 PM, Andrew MacKinnon wrote:
> This is due to weirdness in trademark laws where sometimes companies
> in different categories are allowed to use the same trademark - e.g.
> Apple Inc. and Apple Records.

Also, by far not every chain will have a global trademark (or the clout
to actually police it). If there's a "Starbuck's" cafe in Burma, maybe
it is indeed a blatant rip-off run by a cousin of the prime minister,
and maybe it is really called "Starbuck's".

I'm still convinced that fixing these low hangig fruit is an excellent
task for a beginning mapper in an area (you may not dare to draw a
landuse but you will be able to summon the courage of fixing an obvious
spelling mistake), and in turn it will say something about how well kept
an area is in OSM.

You will never be able to make the map good in an area from your desk
thousands of miles away. Doing a chain store "cleanup" from that
distance is just window dressing - the quality of the map will not be
different, at best you'll make it appear different.

Bye
Frederik