Andy,

On 05/03/2015 12:18 AM, Andy Mabbett wrote:
> Even had I not, I don't think your attempt to analyse my "background"
> has any place on this list.

I didn't mean to "analyse your background" (not did I intend my Wikidata
reference to be derogatory in an way), and I'm sorry if I sounded
condescending.

Your line of reasoning expressed in the post I replied to was:

"If we are more interested in mapping the actual sign on a shop than the
generic name that the shop should have because of its affiliation, then
we are surely also interested in mapping a bunch of derelict shops."

You said that in a way that implied you weren't thinking very highly of
someone mapping derelict shops (because you had collected information
about them and decided not to add it yourself), or (by logical
consequence) someone who maps the actual name on the sign.

I would like to say that

1. Just because it is more OSM-like to map the actual sign than some
internal/contractual name-that-should-be-on-the-sign-but isn't, doesn't
mean we have to be interested in derelict shops.

2. If someone were interested in mapping derelict shops that are still
recognizable as such (as opposed to a shop long replaced by something
else), then that would be totally fine; the information that a building
houses a derelict shop could for example be used as a landmark or by
someone scouting for a location where to open a new shop.

Bye
Frederik