I find it odd that inaction, incapability or incompetence of local sign installers is a worry for a database of geographical facts, which OSM is.

Some roads are hundreds of miles long, at what interval does it need to be signed for it to be considered signed. Beginning and end? Every 100 km?
Some streets have signs that are now obscured by trees and bushes.

"On the ground" rule is a rule of thumb, not the entirety of factual truth. People similarly being lax in making sure their homes conform to local rules about address visibility (huge pet peeve of mine since being a paper boy in the 1980s) should not hinder us in giving their homes the proper address in our database of facts.

If you wish to use on the ground as the only rule then we can just forget about the whole thing - defeated by inaction of people that should be putting up signs and maintaining them.

As for the name inflation, there is no such thing. Illegal imports maybe but name inflation as a problem does not exist. Any talk of "too much data" by adding an extra name field to a node is defeated soundly by any 3d mapping entity. I've looked at some of the 3D stuff done and it blows my mind how detailed and cool it is, then when I peek at the code behind it I admit defeat in trying to understand it at a glance as it is an intricate series of relations upon relations. A simpler example is Stade de France, fantastic stadium - was there myself at 1998 World Cup.

Data bloat can happen, Wikidata is too fragile, we need our own store of data (POI extra details, names, translations etc) that can exchange material with Wikidata but is under full OSMF control - and not controlled by notability deletionists. In 5 years time would we be arguing about bloat in OSMData as someone suddenly purges some section from it?

/rambling

--Jói / Stalfur

Þann 30.5.2015 12:22, skrifaði Martin Koppenhoefer: