On 29/05/2015, SomeoneElse <li...@atownsend.org.uk> wrote:
> I'd say that whether or not a name is actually usable to help navigate
> to a place is a pretty important piece of information.

True. And that what "name" should give you. The "name:CC" tags should
not be a hindrance, at most they should be given alongside "name" by
your satnav.

> For example,
> when processing OSM data for my own use I'll try and drop unsigned names
> and refs from roads (there's no point in saying "turn left on Foo
> Street" if "Foo Street" does not appear on the sign).

That's really neat. How do you know wether a street is signposted or
not ? I don't know of any tag that gives that info. I can't imagine a
good heuristic using name:CC.  I've added quite a few unsignposted
street names by asking locals.

> It's the same
> principle here - if there are 300 names for a place, are you really
> suggesting that I have to do an external check to some other database to
> find that as it's in South Wales, signs are likely to be in Welsh and
> English, so it's those language names that I need to look out for?

What's wrong with "name" ? What's the UK policy on the content of
"name" for places with Welsh and English names ? If you want to see
Welsh names as often as possible but still make the local name more
prominent, use "local name (welsh name if different)" in your map
generating script.