I was the person who adds most of the labels to London, so I want to
share also my thoughts. I did this for all capitals and countries in the
world to be able to create worldmaps in different languages. Such world
maps in local languages are known from each school atlas and are used in
local television news.

For this action I use Wikipedia article names. So London was in each
language important enough to write an article about it in this language.
Which is a lot of work, someone invested.

Before this action I checked and discuss that there was no legal issue
by using Wikipedia article names. Now they are at Wikidata under CC-0 so
definitely free.

The bias in this discussion that English labels are ok and helpful but
other languages are not, is scary for me. Please take a look at:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_languages_by_number_of_native_speakers
and find that English is only on place 3 of the list.

We have a good chance that we will see in short-therm multilingual maps
in lots of websites by using vector tiles. And in this moment we really
want to make it harder to add such translations?

Now to Frederiks proposal:
To use Wikidata is really an interesting idea to reduce duplicated work,
also for more than place names.
With some pre-condition we could talk more positive about Frederiks
proposal:
*There should be in the future an additional, official version of
planet-dumps and diffs that are enrich with content from Wikidata. Such
a service must be stable as the other planet dumps. This service would
kill the argument that it is harder to use external database Wikidata
for apps. If not we create duplicated work for developers that we want
to avoid elsewhere.
*We would need much more Wikidata tags in OSM, now we have only 35.000
and for wikipedia-Tags we have also only 450.000. But I have a database
of 3.5 Mio Wikipedia-objects that have a coordinate. So there is work
for years.
*We should also discuss with the Wikidata community the scope of there
project. Perhaps we can come to a point where everything is inside the
scope that is interesting for a Wikimedia project AND for OpenStreetMap.
But if we come with the idea that we want to store opening hours for
little shops in Wikidata I'm sure that the Wikidata  community would not
be amused to it. (I already try it.)

So before we have something of the pre-conditions on the horizont I
think it's easier go further with the way of name tags we have now for
years.

Tim alias Kolossos