On 12/8/2015 7:39 PM, Clifford Snow wrote:

On Tue, Dec 8, 2015 at 6:56 PM, Paul Norman <penor...@mac.com <mailto:penor...@mac.com>> wrote:

    For what points to pitch, I'd suggest

    - Crowd-sourced, so they can edit themselves, meaning they can get
    fixed data in minutes to days, not quarters to years

This is my goal. More mappers. They can use other sources, but OSM is really the only one that they can actually improve.

    - Useful for cycling advocacy, as it presents a more accurate less
    car-focused set of data, and the open tools around OSM make it
    easier to draw potential options

Can you help me understand this better? Maybe an example.

If you're trying to advocate for a cycle route you can do more useful stuff with OSM than with other tools, such as examine average travel times for improved cycle connection. OpenTripPlanner can be used for this. You can do stuff more sophisticated than using photoshop to draw in a line. People in the UK are using OSM in public right of way advocacy because you can add details like buildings, other paths, parks, and other features which make a proposal make more sense and generally be more attractive.

    - Areas like the North Shore in Vancouver have mountain paths
    which aren't in and will never be in "official" datasets, but are
    essential if you're cycling there. I'm not sure if there's
    analogous areas in the Seattle area.

Got a link to the area? Be fun to show.

http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=17/49.332/-122.984&layers=C

As the paths are named by north shore bikers, they are not family safe.