..

Am 04.08.2017 um 14:08 schrieb Christoph Hormann:

> Furthermore IMO it is not really in the interest of OpenStreetMap to
> discourage use of the name in names of products that are based on
> OpenStreetMap data.
Naturally having to ask for permission "discourages" such use, which as
I already pointed out to Matthijs is in my opinion a good thing.

Not just because of the confusion it causes, even if we grant
permission, but because of all the other aspects of using our marks in
product names on top. For example if we granted somebody the right to
name their product "OpenStreetMap Navigation" we are tipping the market
playing field to the advantage of that one player. It is really
something that we shouldn't be doing.

And yes we have a small number of cases where that has historically
happened without permission outside of the realm of pure user groups
(the local chapter process, and perhaps one day a local user group
structure are designed to deal with that), which are difficult to undo,
but that is not a reason to make things worse.

Simon