>     Of course considering the big volume of editing activity that would
>     likely take place in the 'bot:' namespace in that scenario it might be
>     a good idea to put those tags into a separate database for efficiency
>     reasons.
>
> yes, keeping a lot of additional tags for a huge amount of objects in
> the main db would still be a burden on everyone working with the planet
> file or geographic extracts, so it seems logical to externalize the
> bot-tags. But how would you link one db to the other? If people don't
> see those tags (or only by request), their edits will erode the
> information in this external db (e.g. by splitting ways, deleting and
> redrawing parts, combining ways, etc.). What about versions, will there
> be different versions of the same object in the main db and this bot db?
> Is this a serious suggestion or just another way of saying there are too
> many automated activities going on?

There are many reasons for wanting unique id's IN OSM that can be used
to cross reference external databases. Add to your list archiving
historic versions of the objects, something that should be automated
into OHM. So there should be serious consideration of the idea but what
section of tags should be moved to a separate database?

There is a good case for using wikidata to provide a higher level of
hierarchy such as street names, and all of the place data that overlays
that, so OSM only needs to use the wikidata namespace for all of that
material. I don't think that the idea of 'bot' space actually fits into
that model as it is the unique ID that is fixed and 'bot' tags either
need to be accessible in 'mapping' space, or remain in the secondary
data space.

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL