Speaking from my Wikipedia bot experience (I wrote bots and created
Wikipedia API over 10 years ago to help bots):

Bots were successful in Wikipedia because all users felt empowered. Users
could very easily see what the bot edited, fix or undo bot edits, and
easily communicate with the bot authors.  OSM does not have as good of
tools to compare and undo. Hence, some users in OSM may feel powerless -
they feel like they cannot influence this process, e.g. easily undo a
mistake, or know how bad the mistake really is - does it affect just a few
or thousands of places? As OSM gets more contributors, and moves more
towards maintenance, we should address these two:

* There is no easy way to view changes side-by-side at osm.org. We need to
be able to view both the object history and the entire changeset history,
and compare any two revisions. The diff view should show geometry changes
together with tag changes. JOSM has a good diff viewer, but it is per
object, and requires the use of the app.
* There is no easy way to undo a specific edit. In Wikipedia, undoing is a
simple two click process - "undo this change" in the history view, "save".
In OSM, one has to use a JOSM plugin!

Note that some of these capabilities may exist as separate tools, but most
users may not be even aware of them. They need to be part of the OSM.org.

A few more comments:

* Don't confuse maintenance bots with batch imports. Maintenance bots
cleans up obvious mistakes and simplify things that are too tedious for
humans.  Batch import add large amount of sometimes unverified data. M-bot
cleans up wikipedia page redirects. Import bots create "botopedias" like
ceb-wiki.

* Assume the good faith - bot authors care about the project as much as
everyone else, and want to make the project better as much as everyone
else. Lets find solutions that benefit everyone.

* Bots are tools, just like JOSM. They can be used for good and cause
problems. Banning JOSM just because someone could use it badly doesn't make
sense. Instead we should encourage bot operators to contribute, but make
sure they are benefit rather than nuisance.