It's perfectly reasonable to add surface=unpaved or similar based on aerial
imagery alone, if you have some experience in distinguishing different
surfaces of roads and tracks from aerial imagery.

Do you have evidence that most of the surface tags added by this user are
unreliable?

– Joseph Eisenberg