Hi all

Apologies if this doesn't show correctly as a reply to the previous mail, I've
only just signed up to the mailing list. Also for the silly pseudonym! I set up
my OSM account two years ago to make one edit and never thought it would turn
into a hobby!

> on the shared node between the footway and a road ?

Yes, I'm proposing an automated edit that concerns the shared node between a
footway and a road. Of course highway=crossing kerb=* is perfectly acceptable
tagging, I am not proposing any changes related to that. The vast majority of
nodes that I am proposing to remove barrier=kerb from do not have
highway=crossing.

> I propose a simpler logic: highway=crossing + barrier=* is an error -> check
> a series of cases to see if it is correct to mechanically remove barrier=*
> (for me : ok)

I agree that removing barrier=* from highway=crossing is safe but that is a
separate problem. There is not much overlap between that and the problem I am
describing.

> I don't understand the mix
> kerb=* (raised or not) without a highway=crossing is a kerb at this location
> and is thus a barrier=kerb or a missing highway=crossing

When a footway meets a road and the kerb is not lowered, StreetComplete adds
kerb=raised, by itself, without highway=crossing, so that kerb=raised is the
only tag on the node. The developer of StreetComplete did not want to add a
highway=crossing tag, because there are people who say that highway=crossing
should only be added when there is some infrastructure. It would equally be
wrong to add crossing=no because that suggests that it is impossible or illegal
to cross. Therefore, StreetComplete only adds kerb=raised.

Is this the best way to tag this? I don't know. The developer of StreetComplete
is open to changing it, and this is being discussed here:
https://community.openstreetmap.org/t/tagging-kerbs-on-crossings/9290/24

> you forget all values other than kerb=raised
> you forget the highway=service which have the same problem

I am proposing a mechanical edit only to nodes where I am 100% sure that the
barrier=kerb is wrong.

I am deliberately excluding values other than kerb=raised because it has been
pointed out to me that barrier=kerb kerb=lowered legitimately occurs on some
residential roads (the cars have to drive over the kerb). So barrier=kerb on
roads with any other values of kerb=* in my view need to be reviewed on a case
by case basis.I also imagine that to reach some highway=service you have to
drive over a kerb. So these would also need to be reviewed case by case.

The cases where I am sure the barrier=kerb is wrong are those where
StreetComplete added kerb=raised and then later someone added barrier=kerb in
iD, following the validator suggestion. kerb=raised is the only value of kerb=
that StreetComplete adds without a crossing tag. It also doesn't ask this quest
about service roads or motorways (I checked the code), so there is no reason to
include this in my initial Overpass query that identifies candidate nodes.

Hope this makes it clearer what I'm trying to do and why!