On 21/04/2023 12:46, Mateusz Konieczny via talk wrote:
when you search for tea shop and it was marked as
shop=herbata ("herbata" is Polish for tea) then even a well written search tool
will fail to reliably find it.

Where something is an _absolute direct equivalent_ (but in another language) it makes no sense to use a distinct term (no-one's going to suggest "highway=autoweg" for motorways in the Netherlands, for example), but where there are genuine differences it does make sense to try and capture that somehow.

This also applies where English has borrowed a word that means something else elsewhere - for example, I bet all the "shop=boutique" at https://overpass-turbo.eu/s/1u5H don't match the OSM wiki's definition, but do match the French meaning of the word "boutique", which means "shop".

Even "poorly written" data consumers need to be aware of the data they are consuming.  With OSM, there is no single definition**. Someone trying to interpret data for the part of Togo that I linked above would surely say that https://www.openstreetmap.org/node/5001651960 (tagged only "shop=boutique") is just "some sort of shop".

More generally, anyone with half a brain consuming OSM shop data (or actually, _any_ external data from _anywhere_) will look at the values contained in it***.  The next time you're on a plane, ask yourself - "is it likely that the aircraft's systems have been tested with inputs from sensors out of the expected range of those sensors to ensure that they can deal with that input?".  The answer will of course be "yes".

Best Regards,

Andy

** we know that the OSM wiki does not describe the data in the Togo example.  It doesn't matter that it is the data that is wrong (in OSM terms); the OSM wiki still does not describe the data.

*** although some high-profile organisations have failed that most basic task (e.g. https://www.theguardian.com/games/2020/aug/21/melbourne-fawkner-suburbia-users-poke-fun-at-microsoft-flight-simulator-glitches ).