Apr 21, 2023, 15:08 by dieterdre...@gmail.com:

> Am Fr., 21. Apr. 2023 um 14:08 Uhr schrieb Andy Townsend <>
> ajt1...@gmail.com> >:
>
>> On 21/04/2023 12:17, Mateusz Konieczny via talk wrote:
>>  We're actually talking about the "long tail" of shop values - genuine,
>>  perfectly descriptive, perfectly valid values, like "shop=whisky" that
>>  someone mentioned on IRC this morning. Changing that to something
>>  generic without recording the extra detail somewhere (and communicating
>>  to data consumers where that extra detail has moved to) is essentially
>>  low-grade vandalism - removing detail from OSM.  It devalues the hard
>>  work of the people who surveyed these things in the first place.
>>

> whole-heartedly agree, it also makes it hard to impossible to "organically"
> introduce new classes/types via mapping, because as soon as you add it
> someone monitoring some qa tool comes along and changes the specific value to
> something established but not so specific or sometimes even not fitting.
> These activities are sometimes called "gardening", but in OSM it isn't
> completely clear what is weed and what is crop, so we better make it even
> clearer that this kind of "gardening" should not be performed.

I agree!

shop=whisky (or shop=beer) should be either
- documented as valid and welcome
- handled by something like shop=alcohol alcohol=beer
- left alone

Retagging them to shop=alcohol and losing detail is not good way to spend time,
flattening to shop=yes would be obviously even worse

but we do not need (theorethical examples ahead this time)
both shop=beer and shop=beers
shop=piwo (shop=beer I guess)
shop=monopolowy (shop=alcohol)
shop=alkohol (shop=alcohol)