On 21/4/23 04:50, Mateusz Konieczny via talk wrote:
bot proposal: shop values cleanup (low use values only, 1 used 250 times, three over 100 times, many used less)

For quite long time I am trying to use OSM-based products as Google
Maps replacement. One of major issues are POIs (in many apects). Small
part of that are POIs marked but in way that makes them unusuable
anyway.

A rendering issue.

Why not have a generic symbol for 'shop' and use that for any value of shop that you don't have a specific symbol for?

This is also problems for mappers, especially newbies, confused
for example why nice icon is not appearing on some (and problem is for
example shop=hair_dresser vs shop=hairdresser).

For start I want to propose to people to review shop tags in their area
with undocumented shop values or ones documented as problematic.

See http://overpass-turbo.eu/s/1u2o

For each case either shop should be either

(1) retagged and shop=* changed
(2) such shop value should have its value documented at OSM Wiki (I
documented some, see for example
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:shop%3Dcatalogue ) (3)
sometimes new value should be invented, documented and shop=* retagged
to it

https://community.openstreetmap.org/c/general/tagging/70 may be useful
for discussing new shop=* values (local discussion channel may be also
useful, but I strongly recommend asking wider community about new
values to avoid avoidable confusion). Some people go through
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposal_process - but
discussion/review step is the most useful one and you can use just this.

Tagging mailing list also exists and can be used for discussing new
tags.

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Creating_a_page_describing_key_or_value
may be also useful.

But some of shop values can be safely automatically replaced by another
shop value. For example shop=shoe can be safely migrated to shop=shoes
without human review.

-------------

Getting to the bot edit itself (and I want to note that I am more
excited about finding missing shop values and documenting them and
adding them to presets/documentation than I am about retagging):

So I am proposing to extend
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Mechanical_Edits/Mateusz_Konieczny_-_bot_account/fixing_malformed_shop_tags
by adding more tag replacements.

Please let me know if any of replacements here are dubious and values
require human review/survey to be replaced or are actualy valid. I know
that list is long, so if someone wants to review but needs more than 2
weeks - please write and I can wait for longer.

Also, let me know if anyone would want to get list of affected objects
for review or manual retagging or listing of edits that added this tags
and so on.

tags with highest use, among ones that will be retagged
shop = chandler with 113 uses
shop = stationary with 116 uses
shop = hardware_store with 60 uses
shop = lamps with 250 uses
shop = knife with 60 uses
shop = unattended with 87 uses (see
https://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/130756523 - this mapper added
all* of them and is fine with such change
*including one as a typo, that is why another mapper may
be credited with it)
shop = local_shop with 53 uses
shop = retail with 145 uses

shop = chandler → shop = ship_chandler
shop = chandlery → shop = ship_chandler
shop = chandlers → shop = ship_chandler

A 'chandler' is a person who posses a shop that is a 'chandlery'. Boats are smaller than ships and more numerous.

I would think 'shop=chandlery' is best as it applies to both boats and ships.

shop = stationary → shop = stationery
shop = hardware_store → shop = hardware (Note: there are weird clusters of
shop=hardware in some places, but that is a bit different story -
I suspect some systematic mistake or bad mapping, unless there are African
towns where 1/4 of all shops are really shop=hardware - though either way
local on the ground survey seems needed)
shop = vaping → shop = e-cigarette
shop = vape_store → shop = e-cigarette
shop = vape → shop = e-cigarette
shop = Vape_Store → shop = e-cigarette
shop = lamps → shop = lighting
shop = lamp → shop = lighting
shop = Lighting_Shop → shop = lighting
shop = knife → shop = knives
shop = collectibles → shop = collector
No, shops these days do not sell people.
shop = unattended → shop = vacant
shop = for_rent → shop = vacant
shop = unused → shop = vacant
shop = vacancy → shop = vacant
These could be tagged disused:shop=* and retain the past use.
shop = local_shop → shop = yes (though looking at
https://www.openstreetmap.org/node/6771559662/history and other - maybe
this import should be reverted due to dubious quality?)
shop = retail → shop = yes
shop = Retail → shop = yes
shop = Retails → shop = yes
shop = generic → shop = yes
shop = ??? → shop = yes
shop = retailer → shop = yes
shop = retails → shop = yes (again
"SUZA Indusrtial training Resillence Academy" but this suspect data
will be more detectable as shop=yes - see say
https://www.openstreetmap.org/node/6771699918)
shop = misc → shop = yes
shop = commercial → shop = yes
shop = Generic shop → shop = yes
shop = true → shop = yes
shop = Retail Shop → shop = yes
shop = miscellaneous → shop = yes
(second_hand / variety_store / catalogue / department_store etc may fit)

shop = miscelanea → shop = yes
shop = bazaar → shop = yes

Humm bazaar = a market in a Middle Eastern or Asian country. These usually consist of a number of shops .. May be better mapped as amenity=marketplace?

shop = samoobsługowy → shop = yes (Polish translation)
shop = fixme → shop = yes
shop = egg → shop = eggs
(both undocumented for now, but consolidation here helps)

shop = gun → shop = firearms (as above)
shop = nut → shop = nuts
shop = textile → shop = textiles (maybe migrate both to =fabric)

add/remove s as needed - can I do this for all shop values where such
modification will change them to a searchable shop value present in iD
presets, also without going through review like this one?

shop = crafts → shop = craft
shop = map → shop = maps
shop = wig → shop = wigs
shop = shoe → shop = shoes
shop = tyre → shop = tyres
shop = spice → shop = spices
shop = sport → shop = sports

The secondary tag of 'sport=*' does  not have the 's' .. this may lead to errors. I'd retain 'shop=sport'.

shop = foods → shop = food
Foods .. usually more than one.
shop = paints → shop = paint
Paints .. usually more than one.
shop = door → shop = doors
shop = health_foods → shop = health_food
shop = locksmiths → shop = locksmith
shop = bathroom_furnishings → shop = bathroom_furnishing

low use values based on review of other low use values with extra s,
this were not reviewed specifically

Most of thefollowing .. I'd reatin the 's' as they would sell more than one kind.

shop = fireplaces → shop = fireplace
shop = outdoors → shop = outdoor
shop = tickets → shop = ticket
shop = window_blinds → shop = window_blind
shop = floorings → shop = flooring
shop = beds → shop = bed
shop = photos → shop = photo
shop = curtains → shop = curtain
shop = opticians → shop = optician
shop = models → shop = model
shop = pets → shop = pet
shop = bags → shop = bag
shop = fabrics → shop = fabric
shop = computers → shop = computer

shop = convinience → shop = convenience
shop = cosmetic → shop = cosmetics
( https://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/123802513 -
NESP_II_businesses_and_facilities_Import )
shop = paint shop → shop = paint
shop = electronics_store → shop = electronics
shop = retail_furniture → shop = furniture
shop = convenience_store → shop = convenience
shop = electronic → shop = electronics
shop = Furniture store → shop = furniture
shop = furniture_shop → shop = furniture
shop = furniture_store → shop = furniture
shop = swimming_pools → shop = swimming_pool
shop = beauty33 → shop = beauty
shop = collectables → shop = collector
shop = beauty_pets → shop = pet_grooming
shop = pet_hairdresser → shop = pet_grooming
shop = pet_parlour → shop = pet_grooming
shop = pet_beauty → shop = pet_grooming
shop = icecream → shop = ice_cream
shop = green_grocer → shop = greengrocer
shop = General Shop → shop = general
shop = food stuff → shop = food
shop = car_dealership → shop = car
shop = hair_dresser → shop = hairdresser
shop = storage-rental → shop = storage_rental
shop = repairs → shop = repair
shop = telecom → shop = telecommunication
shop = sexshop → shop = erotic
shop = sex → shop = erotic
shop = frames → shop = frame
shop = optican → shop = optician
shop = gas_shop → shop = gas
shop = cars → shop = car
shop = rentals → shop = rental
shop = Kitchen → shop = kitchen
shop = religious → shop = religion
shop = pawn → shop = pawnshop
shop = closed → shop = vacant
shop = nut_store → shop = nuts
shop = herbs → shop = herbalist
shop = estate agent → shop = estate_agent

with trailing space at the end - would it be fine to do it also
with other known valid values (listed on Wiki or in iD presets as valid)
if they appear, without a separate bot proposal?
shop = shoes  → shop = shoes
shop = fashion_accessories  → shop = fashion_accessories
shop = health_food  → shop = health_food

would it be fine to do it also with other known valid values
(snip '_shop', ' shop', ' store', '_store', '_products', ' products'
etc at the end of shop value if it produces valid shop type, found
in iD presets, without going through bot approval procedure?)
shop = model_store → shop = model
shop = farm_shop → shop = farm
shop = farm_stand → shop = farm

A 'stand' is a particular structure .. different from a retail building, so may require an additional tag 'building=stand' ???

shop = convenience store → shop = convenience
shop = mobile_phone_shop → shop = mobile_phone
shop = gift_shop → shop = gift
shop = fabric store → shop = fabric
shop = horse → shop = equestrian
shop = haberdasher → shop = haberdashery ( maybe all shop=haberdashery
should be moved to shop=sewing? Note that iD presets threat them as
synonymous so if they are not then something should be changed )

If you reached here: I have some question about shop values that I am NOT
proposing to edit right now.

More info about bot edit is further below.

shop=drugstore
shop=drug_store
That is either shop=chemist or amenity=pharmacy, right? So needs to be
resurveyed to be fixed (maybe asking in changeset comments people who
added may make sense).
American. I'll leave that to them.

For that matter, what about shop=cutlery =cooking_utensils =home_goods ?
Not only cooking but also eating utensils. Home goods encompass more than cutlery. I'd leave it alone.

Beekiping materials shop seems to be a good target for tag
invention/proposal/standarisation.
shop=beekeeping_supplies
shop=beekeeping
shop=apiary
shop=beekeeper
That is a person .. not for sale.
shop=bee_keeping
shop=bee
shop=bee_supply
shop=Beekeeping_Supplies
shop=beekeepers_need

There are also some shop values in noneglish where I have given up on
them. If some of them have 100% clear meaning - help with them would be
welcome (either by fixing them, especially ones appearing only few
times or, if used on wider scale, they could be added to the next
shop=* migration proposal - let me know about such cases)

If you want to help with reviewing them but need help: let me know and
I will setup something. Also, if you are interested in longer list of
values that require such help.

shop=patisserie
shop=Tienda_y_taller_de_articulos_de_greda
shop=tienda_y_taller_de_articulos_de_greda
shop=schulmöbel
shop=mobil
shop=bijouterie
shop=abarrotes
shop=Sanitär
shop=matres
shop=σφραγίδες
shop=印
shop=柑仔店
shop=髮廊
shop=觀光旅遊

Following is the same reasoning and plan as previously:

Edit would be automatic, rerun from time to time, split into small
changeset by geographic areas and run by
https://www.openstreetmap.org/user/Mateusz%20Konieczny%20-%20bot%20account/history%20bot%20account

Why it is useful? It helps newbies to avoid becoming confused. It
protects against such values becoming established. Without drudgery
that would be required from the manual cleanup. It also makes easier to
add missing shop= values

In addition, such review allows to stop cases where documentation or
presets are missing something. This review already resulted in multiple
improvements to OSM Wiki documentation and iD presets.

Why automatic edit? I have a massive queue (in thousands and tens of
thousands) of automatically detectable issues which are not reported by
mainstream validators, require fixes and fix requires review or
complete manual cleanup.

There is no point in manual drudgery here, with values clearly
replaceable by better matches.

This values here do NOT require manual overview. If this cases will
turn out to be an useful signal of invalid editing than I will remain
reviewing nearby areas where bot edited.

And I fixed some manually and they were not a great sign of a problematic data.

Hope that helps.