On 21/04/2023 12:17, Mateusz Konieczny via talk wrote:
It helps because maintaining lists of many many many rarely used meaningless values in every single QA tool and validator and tool doing this is annoying at best.

For the avoidance of doubt we are NOT talking about meaningless values here.  We're also not talking about obvious misspellings, like the previously mentioned "shop=Chandlery" (that entry has a website that confirms that the tag is just misspelt).  We're not talking about genuine duplicates ("shop=healthcare" vs "shop=health_care") where literally no-one is going to assume a different meaning.

We're actually talking about the "long tail" of shop values - genuine, perfectly descriptive, perfectly valid values, like "shop=whisky" that someone mentioned on IRC this morning. Changing that to something generic without recording the extra detail somewhere (and communicating to data consumers where that extra detail has moved to) is essentially low-grade vandalism - removing detail from OSM.  It devalues the hard work of the people who surveyed these things in the first place.

You previously changed "shop=luxury" to "shop=yes" and then changed it back when I complained (see e.g. https://osm.mapki.com/history/node/2642857189 and https://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/134837986 ).  As I said on that changeset, surely some of those values could be set to better actual values.  https://www.openstreetmap.org/node/2642857046 is part of a chain https://overpass-turbo.eu/s/1u3W with variable tagging; the most popular of those would be better than "luxury", but either would be better than "yes": https://osm.mapki.com/history/node/2642857046 .  Some of the others (the unnamed ones) may benefit from a resurvey since they were added in 2014.

The fact that you find it "annoying" to deal with this detail in OSM is extremely disappointing.  I would have expected better.  It really isn't rocket science to deal with the "shop" key - it's just one key with a set of values.  If you want a challenge, try "historic" (though that is also possible: https://map.atownsend.org.uk/maps/map/map.html#17/-25.00937/135.17762 ).

Best Regards,

Andy