Hello Chris,

On Monday, July 1, 2002 at 08:45 GMT +0100, aliens probed Chris Weaven
[CW] and found:

CW> The quick template is; Initials

>>%IF:"%SETPATTREGEXP=""(?im-s)^X-Mailer\:.*(Bat!|Becky|Gnus|slrn).*$""%-
>>REGEXPBLINDMATCH=""%HEADERS""%-
>>%SUBPATT=""1"""<>"":

CW> What am I doing wrong now?

Ok, well the initials quick template should only generate the
initials, it shouldn't do any decision making about when to use those
initials.  Do the decision making in a separate QT.  I use 3 layers,
my main template, a "name" template that decides how to display the
name and if initials are appropriate, and and an initials template
which generates the initials.

Having said that, your initials QT isn't complete.  You've only got
the decision making part of the %IF statement.  You haven't specified
what to do.  Check the help file for usage details of the %IF
statement.

For the initials generation, use one of two methods:
<http://www.mail-archive.com/tbudl@thebat.dutaint.com/msg28598.html>
<http://www.mail-archive.com/tbudl@thebat.dutaint.com/msg28645.html>

Or,

<http://www.mail-archive.com/tbtech@thebat.dutaint.com/msg02140.html>
<http://www.mail-archive.com/tbudl@thebat.dutaint.com/msg42547.html>

CW> I want it to look like yours!

I am purposely being somewhat cryptic in my answers. The reason for
that is you seem to be interested in cobbling together your own
solution from fragments that are floating around. In the process you
are probably learning a lot about templates and the macros.  You are
doing a good job and are almost there, so it would seem that I would
ruin your well deserved sense of accomplishment if I just give you
my solution.

Having said that, if you would like to see a working template system
(it is complex), I could give you my solution. It still won't be
exactly what you want, but the necessary changes should be almost
trivial for you.  If you do want to see my full solution, you'll have
to ask me off-list.

--
Thanks for writing,
 Januk Aggarwal