Hi John,

On  14 February 2000  at  09:22:22 GMT +0900 (which was 00:22 where I
live) [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote and made these points:

JDH> But  that's only one way of ordering mail. In a mailing list like
JDH> this,  suppose  you  opt for a threaded view, and messages arrive
JDH> for different threads. They will be scattered through the message
JDH> list. The only way to get to each one is to open the folder, open
JDH> the  threads,  and find each unread article manually or with that
JDH> awkward  CTRL  +  ].  This is not a good interface if you like to
JDH> thread discussions.

You  said  elsewhere in this thread that the ticker virtual folder was
no  good  because  messages  were  scattered.  And here you state that
you've  at  least  seen  the  threaded  message  list. Ever thought of
combining the two? Threading the ticker virtual folder? It's how I use
it - works pretty good for me.

Here's my opinion on this topic:

1).  Steve  is  absolutely  correct  - and so is TB current behaviour.
     Open  a  folder? Put the cursor right back where it was last time
     we  were  in  there. It's logical. It's correct. Don't change it.
     Please!!!

And before anyone pops a major vessel -

2).  Is  there  an  easy way of navigating the spread of new messages?
     Well, for those of you who haven't gotten it on with the ticker -
     no. What's missing? Most of the discussions say one keystroke ...
     "next unread message with no folder boundary".

I'm  actually  not  convinced  even  then  that it would be right. The
folder  hierarchy  and  order  would  be  vital  in ensuring that such
messages  would  be  presented  in the desired sequence. let alone the
fact that date order is sacrificed to folder order. Is that best then?
Not for me.

     Perhaps  a  truer  implementation  is  (yet) another keystroke to
     "Open  a  folder  at  the first new message". This is what should
     really  be asked for here, rather than any change to the existing
     and, IMHO, *very* logical behaviour.

For  my own use, I would have none of these extraneous keystrokes. The
ticker  virtual  folder does it all (for me) and more, since I see all
new  messages  in  the order in which they were written, threaded, and
folder order is immaterial.

I  don't  have  to exhaust all new messages in one folder before I can
see older messages in another.

And, oh yes, BTW Steve .. the language at the top of this thread could
have  left  it still-born had I not been away for the weekend. Luckily
the  flames blew themselves out before I got my horse gun out. Keep it
cool out there!

--
Cheers,
.\\arck

Marck D. Pearlstone, Consultant Software Engineer
Co-moderator TBUDL / TBBETA
www: http://www.silverstones.com
PGP key: <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]?Body=GET%20MARCKKEY>