Hi BatListers,

          In a post timestamped 22:02:07 +0200 re: "custom quotes & search criteria"
          Peter Steiner wrote:

Peter> On Wed, 27 Sep 2000 14:45:55 -0400, Jan Rifkinson wrote:

> [...]

Peter>>> I've never tried, but %REGEXPBLINDMATCH="%CLIPBOARD" should apply a
Peter>>> regexp to the clipboard. Or am i mixing up things?

JR>>           Jan  responds:  Thanks  for the thought, Peter. Hmmmm. I
JR>>           sure  as  heck  don't  know the answer to this but if it
JR>>           were  to work, might it instead be a search for the text
JR>>           after the word "From:" in the %QUOTECLIPBOARD text since
JR>>           I'd be working from a digest of msgs?

Peter> I don't know the exact format of a digest, but assuming standard
Peter> format (From: username <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>), my first try would be
Peter> (if you wanted the address part):

Peter> %SETPATTREGEXP='From:(
+|.+<)([a-zA-Z]*)@'%REGEXPBLINDMATCH='%CLIPBOARD'%SUBPATT='2'

Peter> For the %CLIPBOARD macro to work, you would not only have to select the
Peter> text, but also copy it to the clipboard (Ctrl-C). And note that the
Peter> part matching the address is simple, it doesn't match addresses
Peter> containing digits, dot or other special characters.

          Jan responds: Peter, thanks for the suggestion. Here's a
          sample  of a Bouvier digest msg (Bouviers are dogs) that
          I  clipped.  I  put  your  suggested  string  in a reply
          template for this digest. Then I copied ^c this msg from
          the  digest including the "from" line, Then I used F4 to
          reply & got the following error msg.

           *** Error: nothing to repeat ***

           My goal is to lift "David" or "David Frye" from the msg &
           possibly the "Date info" as well to reply to.

           Thanks so much for your thoughts on this.  This process
           is like panning for gold in the US Northwest in 1935.

-----|| original digest message ||-----
Message: 1