Morning Allie,

On Mon, 27 Nov 2000 23:29:19 -0500GMT (28/11/2000, 12:29 +0800GMT),
Allie Martin wrote:

AM> The source folder setting applies when running the filter automatically.

AM> However, when manually filtering, you may use the filter on any folder.
AM> A little testing reveals this gem of an advantage.

I am not saying that the functionality is bad. What I am saying is
that the filter behaves differently, depnding on whether it is used
automatically or manually. This is not good.

I am not sure you understand what I mean. I set the source folder to
A. The fuilter is applied automatically, it works. The filter is
applied manually, it is ignored.

It is good to have a filter work on the folder you are currently
sorting out; make a tick-box or a pop-up asking whether I want to
apply this filter, as it is marked for another source folder. Don't
let me apply a filter for folder A, but since I am in folder B, it
will just be applied here, because TB feels that's good.

It is a violation of good interface design principles, that's what I'm
trying to say. The functionality of being able to apply filters also
for the current folder, is a good one. The way it is implemented, is
not good.

TF>> How can that be a good thing?

AM> It offers the user more options. I can manually apply the same filter to
AM> more than one folders. Something I happen to do at present.

See, this is where I found out that I had mislead you somehow. I do
agree that the functionality is good.

AM> Good from an intuitive standpoint .... No. :=)

Thanks, you do see my point, do you?

AM> The better thing to do here would be to create filter sets and the each
AM> filter set could be assigned to work with particular folders. Assigning
AM> a source folder would therefore not be a part of the filter rule setup
AM> at all and still you'll have the functionality that TB! offers ... and
AM> more.

A simple pop-up query would do: "This filter was created for Sopurced
Folder A. Do you want to apply it to the current folder (B)? Y/N?"
That's my suggestion. :-)

AM> Relax. I have visited the site already.

I find it hilarious. :-)

--

Cheers,
Thomas.

Message reply created with The Bat! 1.47 Halloween Edition
under Chinese Windows 98 4.10 Build 1998
on a Pentium II/350 MHz.