Hi Allie,

On Tue, 28 Nov 2000 00:04:21 -0500GMT (28/11/2000, 13:04 +0800GMT),
Allie Martin wrote:

TF>> I am not saying that the functionality is bad. What I am saying is
TF>> that the filter behaves differently, depnding on whether it is used
TF>> automatically or manually. This is not good.

AM> How else to offer such functionality within the design they implemented?
AM> <shrug>

Exactly! The design is faulty. ;-)

TF>> See, this is where I found out that I had mislead you somehow. I do
TF>> agree that the functionality is good.

AM> Well, you asked a broad question. 'How can that be a good thing?' :=)

You're right. ;-)

TF>> A simple pop-up query would do: "This filter was created for Sopurced
TF>> Folder A. Do you want to apply it to the current folder (B)? Y/N?"
TF>> That's my suggestion. :-)

AM> Oh, dear. That's begging for trouble. Suppose you have 15 filters as I
AM> do in the read filter set? A lot of pop-up queries to deal with.

OK, so you usually apply filters to folders which are not the
declared source folder. How about a tick-box in the filter set-up:
"Use active folder as source folder"? Once you've ticked this one, the
filter will always be applied to the folder currently active - and
this is the current behaviour when on "manual".

What I don't agree to, is different behaviour depending on whether the
filter is applied automatically or manually. What do you think aobut
this?

AM> Assigning a source folder to the filter rule should probably be
AM> abandoned because of the limitation we're discussing.

It may make sense - even though I never knew this option even existed.
It didn't when I last created filters, I only found out about it when
I tried to duplicate JM's problem.

I use Incoming and Outgoing filters on Inbox and Sent respectively,
that's automatic, and on particular folders when I have created a new
folder and then manually refilter.

I don't have any Read filters and have therefore never used the Source
Folder option, but for Read filters, it does seem to make sense to me.

AM> If you wish to maintain good design, each filter should always
AM> stick to it's source folder. This means that if you wish to apply
AM> the same filter to another folder, you'd have to recreate the
AM> filter, changing only the source folder. Too much work and too
AM> much clutter.

I agree, that would be not so good. Therefore, it would not be called
"good design" <g>.

AM> If, OTOH, the filters were just created without a source folder, you
AM> could create a set of filters and then pick which ones you wish to
AM> work with which folders. If you have a look at how Pegasus Mail
AM> implements its filtering you will better see what I am suggesting.

I cannot look at Pegasus right now, so I cannot comment on this.

--

Cheers,
Thomas.

Message reply created with The Bat! 1.47 Halloween Edition
under Chinese Windows 98 4.10 Build 1998
on a Pentium II/350 MHz.