On Sat, 6 Jan 2001 02:41:46 +0800, you wrote:

>There are servers you can install on your PC. Of course, they will be
>only active when you are currently connected, but I tried one once,
>and it sent the messages directly to the recipient's POP server.
Actually......   Why does no e-mail client have an option to deliver
sent mail directly to the addressed person's SMTP server.  Am I
missing an obvious "NO" here, or have I just thought up a totally new
type of internet application (Maybe I should file a patent for it
right away <grin>)

>I uninstalled it again, because I found it awkward, and in addition, I
>have only PC's, no laptop, so I can use my ISP's SMTP at home, and my
>company's SMTP in the office (which has a 24/7 ISDN connection to the
>internet, which I can use via the LAN).
Hmmmm I see your point. I would only need the SMTP server the short
moment I'm sending the mails.  Don't have to make it manage the
mailboxes.

>Another idea would be to connect via attglobal.net (formerly ibm.net)
>or Compuserve, they have dial-in numbers in many places, and you can
>use either their SMTP server or connect through them to your respective
>SMTP servers. I haven't used either of them for a while, so I don't
>don't whether it still works.
About all of the ISP's I use have POP's all over Belgium, some even
have access from other countries in Belgium.  That however isn't the
problem.  When I'm home, I'm using ADSL, at the office, we have ISDN,
and when I'm on the road I use GSM.
The ISP I use at home doesn't provide an ISDN service like the one we
have in the office.  That one in turn doesn't provide access through
ADSL.  The "on the road" is a special case again, since dialing either
provider would be costly, and it's cheaper per minute to use the
internet provided by the company I get my GSM line from...
Starting to see the picture here...  :-(  I really wish I could get it
all done via just one, but either they don't provide the service I
require or the cost to get it done is too high.
I'm not even going to get started as to why I need the other 2 ISP's
for :-)

Olivier Reubens