----------------------------------
On Friday, January 05, 2001, 1:29:07 PM, Olivier Reubens wrote:

OR> OK..  If that can't be done..  How can installing my own SMTP server
OR> work ????
OR> According to that other mail, If I would install a SMTP server on my
OR> own PC, I can have that one send the messages to the target SMTP
OR> server, but when I'd install a mailer, It wouldn't be ?  Sorry but
OR> that makes no sense.  What's preventing an e-mail client from having
OR> the same send-engine as a SMTP server on the same computer would do.
OR> I really don't see why that wouldn't work.  Then again, I have no idea
OR> how mail arrives at a destination mailbox either, so I really can't
OR> tell.

I think the problem is that, as you say, you have no idea as to how
mail arrives at the mailbox - and you are confused about the
difference between SMTP and POP, and other server programs.

I'm no expert, so I might be wrong on some details, but here's how it
works, as clearly as I can explain.

The short answer is that if you have your own SMTP, you can configure
the options the way you want it. SMTP's on other servers will be
configured in different ways, but all will be configured to protect
against abuse by intruders or spammers.

SMTP is a program on a server that sends or relays mail to other
servers.  In the end, it will send mail to a POP box somewhere - the
POP box is the place where the user gets the mail from.

Servers also have software designed for filtering and processing mail.
This software is what tells SMTP what to do with the mail when it gets
it. Some common programs for this are called Sendmail, Procmail, Qmail.

If you had your own SMTP server, you would use the mail software to
tell it to recognize and relay all mail coming from you and your
domains, and reject everything else. So, you will have configured your
personal SMTP to allow relaying, but only the relaying that helps you.
Since your personal SMTP would not have a dedicated connection, you
would probably not have to worry about other spam protections.

A dialup ISP company will probably configure their SMTP server to only
accept mail that has originated on its network - that is, something
coming in via the dialup.

A webhosting company without dialup services will generally configure
their SMTP to accept other mail, but use a verification routine such
as POP-before-send coupled with spam filters such as the ORBS database
to protect their server.

-Abigail