Hello!

Sunday, January 07, 2001, 9:03:03 PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

bdou> I use sendmail under Linux (OT but I'll carry on) this sends mail
bdou> straight away wihtout using a smtp server.

:-) You may wonder a bit but the sendmail program is a quite perfect
example of the SMTP server. Qmail, Exim and Postfix also falls to this
category.

>> 2. This delivery scheme is unusual at the user's end and isn't
>> appreciated by the ISPs. Remember that user != server :-)

bdou> Who cares about what your ISP thinks. It's not that unusual and
bdou> many people run their own smtp server. I run one at work to ave
bdou> having to use the demon one.

My ISP (hoping that yours too) is a right ISP :-). It doesn't restrict
me on what SMTP/POP3/whatever server I can connect to - I'm speaking
about the ability to connect to the servers that are outside of my ISP's
IP address block. My actions is only and only my actions so I'm fully
responsible for them.

>> 4. We're living in the world of spam. Let the servers do their work
>> perfectly.

bdou> But they don't do their work perfectly

Well, if they are badly administrated :-)

bdou> and it is simple for a spammer to set up their own smtp server.

Agreed, but please don't forget the fact that sooner or later this
server will be filtered by the most ISPs and corporate clients. Have you
heard about MAPS RBL/RSS/etc., ORBS, DRBL?

bdou> Disallowing relaying is a poor system. As is blackholeing.

I'll tend to completely disagree.

Note: since we're going into the strict offtopic here I decided that all
replies to this message regarding non-TB! related stuff will be made
off-list to my address.

--

Yours sincerely,

Andrey G. Sergeev (AKA Andris)     http://www.andris.msk.ru/