Hallo Olivier,

On Fri, 05 Jan 2001 22:29:07 +0100 GMT (06/01/2001, 05:29 +0800 GMT),
Olivier Reubens wrote:

OR> OK..  If that can't be done..  How can installing my own SMTP server
OR> work ????

I think Hamster does what you need. I don't have the URL, but somebody
else in this list will.

OR> According to that other mail, If I would install a SMTP server on my
OR> own PC, I can have that one send the messages to the target SMTP
OR> server,

.. to the target POP server. You don't touch the recipient's SMTP
server.

OR>  but when I'd install a mailer, It wouldn't be ?

No, a mailer delivers mail to an SMTP server. Differnt functions.

OR> Sorry but that makes no sense. What's preventing an e-mail client
OR> from having the same send-engine as a SMTP server on the same
OR> computer would do.

Bloat.

OR> I really don't see why that wouldn't work.

It would. I wouldn't want it, because it is faster and easier for me
to just deliver to my ISP's SMTP server and let it do the rest while
I'm offline. You see, if you need to connect to the recipient's POP
server, that probably on another continent, and depending on your
bandwidth (average 1.5k/s over here) that takes expensive on-line
time. If the POP server is down or unreachable for some reason, you
have to try again later - something I don't worry about when using my
ISP's SMTP server.

That's about all I know about it. ;-)

--

Cheers,
Thomas.

In a Rhodes tailor shop: Order your summers suit. Because is
big rush we will execute customers in strict rotation.

Message reply created with The Bat! 1.49 Beta/1
under Chinese Windows 98 4.10 Build 1998
using an Intel Celeron 366Mhz, 128MB RAM