On Fri, 12 Jan 2001 15:51:47 +0100, you wrote:

>I've finally managed to read my way through the complete thread, but I
>still don't understand why you can't use the SMTP-server of one of the
>web-mail providers offering SMTP-by-login and then
>
>1) set up TB with only *one* account
I need to be able to distinguish OUTGOING mailboxes.
When customers write to say [EMAIL PROTECTED] and a reply is sent
by me or my colleagues, it should have [EMAIL PROTECTED] in the
"from" so when customers in turn reply, it nicely arrives in the
support inbox again and so on.
Same for info@... sales@... and several others.

I need this for multiple domains, which are (unfortunately) hosted at
different ISP's.  This is a cost issue.  I'm currently using a
somewhat awkward setup of different ISP's and stuff, but I'm paying
less than a third of what the cheapest single ISP could offer. (if
they COULD offer each of the items I need in the first place).  In US
currency, the total budget I'm paying NOW for all our internet
requirements is a 4 figure sum aching to a 5 figure one each year.
Paying 3 times as much is TOO much.

To make matters worse, I need to be able to do all this from various
places. Connecting to the server of a different ISP depending on where
I'm connecting from.

And I'm changing locations at least 3 times a day. (can you see me
changing account info for 6-7 accounts, 3+ times a day)... sigh. it's
depressing...

>2) set up TB with just as many account as *you* want (not as many as
>the amount of your ISP's dictate!) and then use only this *one*
>SMTP-server for your account.
The ISP's don't dictate it, I'm dictating it onto myself because I
have no viable alternative.  If I really really could, I'd have an
in-house server (or servers) taking care of everything we need, but
alas, that WOULDd cost a hefty 5 figure sum.

>Both of these solutions would allow you to send from *one* SMTP-server
>no matter where you were connected, and would thus save you the
>trouble of
I have at current not found an SMTP server which I can access, from
wherever I connected from (i.e. whatever ISP's I'm using). and send
the mails through with any of 20 or so different "FROM" addresses
(which include several different domains, most of which are ".be"
domains).
If you know of any, It'd probably solve most of my problems.

>1) Changing smtp-servers when changing connection
I'm currently _STILL_ using Forte Agent because that one allows me to
automatically set the SMTP servers depending on what account I used to
make the connection with.  The bad news with Forte is that I need to
launch an instance for each account. That alone fills up the entire
taskbar, takes a lot of switching windows, making it less than optimal
to work, and a real hassle if I need to move/copy a mail to another
account.

>2) Setting up filters, columns etc. for more than *one* account!
I can set the filters to distribute incoming mail into separate
inboxes (the way I'd like it anyway) and automatically set the "from"
address.  However, at current with TheBat!  I would need to manually
change the "Account" for each mail I'm sending.
I need "instant" send (so can't save up, call the provider and send
mail in batch).  And I'm doing several handfulls of mails a day (all
accounts mixed).

>Have I missed something?! If I haven't - and this looks like a
>solution for you - , you could use the SMTP-server of
>webmail-providers like www.myrealbox.com , www.gmx.net , www.yahoo.com
>or  www.operamail.com .
I'll check them and see if they allow me to SMTP send using the
from-addresses I need.

>Since all of these services also offer POP/IMAP-retrieval from TB, you
>can collect all your mail-traffic on one of these accounts, and, thus,
>enjoy the additional bonus of being able to read all your mail where
>ever you have access to the web - not just on your TB-PC!
GETTING the mail isn't a problem.  All of the ISP's I have mailboxes
at allow me to get pop access and retrieve the mail in the mailboxes,
but I can't SEND mail through an account which ISP I'm not directly
dialed into.
And doing this from multiple PC's isn't a problem either.

Olivier Reubens.