On 8 January 2002 at 3:13 am Raj wrote:

> I  guess  the  point  Alastair  was  making  is  that the learning curve is made
> phenomenal  mainly  due  to  lack of information or information not presented in
> proper manner.

Quite :)

> I  personally  used TB for over 8 months as described you in the first part. Its
> only  when  I  stated  digging  did I realize I have to dig deep and at multiple
> place to strike. This is what make getting used to TB difficult.

> For  most  people  e-mail is a tool to get their work done and one cannot expect
> them  to  search all over the net or subscribe to TBUDL to get majority of info.
> It should be available in the help file with examples.

> I  guess  its  high  time people at RITlabs realized that its just not important
> to have a good product but also package it well.

Yes, that could scarcely have been put better.

I rather dislike Apple for Steve Jobs' grandstanding, its
condescension (the implication that only it can do good design and
everyone else is an uncultured fool only interested in money) and the
semi-devotional atmosphere generated by its followers ... but one
thing it has _never_ done is cut corners on documentation, either
electronic or paper. Its manuals are a pleasure to read, and also an
education in how to write documentation yourself.

(A great danger when working for the IT industry is falling into the
trap "oh, we're clever and can work it out from first principles".
After 12 years in that industry I've learned better; I'd say about 1/3
of my time is spent writing up what I've done, either for those
working for me or for the users).

Alastair