Tuesday, March 26, 2002, 4:58:16 PM, Dierk wrote:

DH> Hello Nick!

DH> On Tuesday, March 26, 2002 at 1:16:52 AM you wrote:

>> That pretty much sums up my view on it as well, and you can add the
>> SmartBat memo pad 'thingy' and calculator to that list as well. Sorry
>> RITLabs but there are much more important enhancements needed.

DH> The Inbox - Known can be of help if one does not have much experience
DH> with filtering. It is therefore a good (and very small) addition to
DH> beginners. (Note: I haven't used it, yet.)

I would think that the concept of simply filtering to different
folders based on the idea of grouping content is much more intuitive
than the idea of dividing mail into that which is matched against
your address book, and that which isn't.  And as for beginners, I
would suggest they are *highly* unlikely to start with TB.  They
start with what comes on their pre-installed OS, and they gradually
start looking around for alternatives as they learn more about what
can be done and what they'd like to do that OE can't do.  By the time
they ever discover TB, my guess is they already know a lot about
filtering.  And *anyone* who uses an e-mail client, even for the
first time, is going to have a pretty good intuitive feel for what an
Inbox is for -- what it does and what they can expect to find in it.
However, TB now presents that theoretical new user with two of them.
You tell me which is the less confusing alternative to a raw computer
rookie. :)

DH> The SmartBat is useful for transferring text of any kind (including
DH> filters) between accounts, messages, even programmes).

Easier than copy to the clipboard and paste where you want it?  I
admit to not having explored this feature almost at all, but from the
description above it sounds like . . . the clipboard.  And I already
have one with the OS that works perfectly.

DH> The calculator has been put to good use within templates (I've seen at
DH> least one case in point by Peter Palmreuther). The "Evaluate" menu
DH> item is merely a by-product of the new %CALC macro.

I'm sure *ALL* of this stuff can be used.  :))  None of it is totally
worthless, except maybe the Inbox - Known (ducking and running). :))
But *where* do you draw the line?  There is nothing on my box, with
about 20 gigs of programs, that I consider worthless. <sarcasm>  So
let's include *all* of it in TB.  In fact, let's turn TB into an
operating system, and be done with it.  And since I'm going to e-mail
that digital film clip to my father after I edit it, why can't I edit
it right inside the same program that is going to mail it? </sarcasm>

I have simply two points:

1) There is probably some place where a line should be drawn, beyond
which "features" tend to clutter and distract more than they add
utility.  (And I would say that features that put buttons where they
interfere even slightly with automatic user program interaction
probably are close to if not over that line.)

2) When there are *basic* issues outstanding, any attention to
features that might fall into the category above is energy that could
better be spent elsewhere -- and *especially* if there is even the
remotest chance that adding one of these features is going to
compromise overall stability in any way.

But, hey, I realize this argument means nothing anyway, because the
Inbox - Known is highly unlikely to ever disappear, I'm quite sure. I
just hope basic things like the ability to communicate in all the
world's *major* languages might get taken care of before anymore
cutesy stuff gets tacked on.  I doubt if the Inbox - Known feature
will sell *one* additional copy of the program.  And I seriously mean
that, because it's an idea so incredibly unique that virtually no one
knows they have a need for it. :))

Handling character sets that are used by about 1/4 of the planet's
population might do a heck of a lot more for RIT's bottom line,
perhaps.  I mean, hey, I have an Inbox - Known, but I have to use
Outlook to communicate with half of my address book.  Life just
doesn't get any better.  :)

Best,

Yuki

mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]