On Tuesday, June 11, 2002, Peter Palmreuther wrote...

JA>> Then how would you explain viruses spreading via the .jpg and
JA>> .gif formats?

> Because the wide spread usage of Outlook and Outlook
> Express?!?!?!?!!!!!

Indeed

> What happens is: this object is announced as an 'image' by a 'Content-Type:
> image/jpg' or something similar.

Yes... that is true.

> This is no problem, but in fact the extension is e.g. '.pif' or '.bat' or
> '.com'.

Not always the case... I have mine set to not hide any file extensions
at all, and have had three .jpg files on my PC that were infected with
a virus, and on execution on our test machine (has no network
connections, only a floppy drive for testing), attempting to open the
files causes the browser (because it is an issue with IE in most cases
that causes this) to 'execute' the image, the browser then returns the
big red X to show it's not a valid image, but does in fact infect the
machine.

> This is no problem too ... except ... except the '<what ever tries
> to handle the object>' does not enforce the object _trying to be
> rendered as an image_ but executes a system call to 'start' the
> object, WHICH FINALLY executes the '.pif' or whatever.

In most recent cases this is true... Klez is just a pif in most cases,
hidden as a .scr, .doc, .jpg by the content-type header.

> So the problem ain't there's a '.jpg' _in name_, and the problem ain't
> wrong rendering, but a wrong executed system call on an _executable_ file.

Depends... if it's a double extension file, it always goes for the
last extension, which would be a .pif, .com, .exe (etc), in which
case, the image program (be it IE, photoshop, paintshop etc) wouldn't
even load, and the *correct* program for executing that program will
be called... here is an example, copy a standalone program, and rename
it to <oldname>.jpg.exe... it still executes as a .exe and doesn't
even load IE (in my case).

> Disable the 'Hide file extensions for known file types' in your explorer
> settings (not Internet Explorer!!! Explorer ... the file manager!) and
> you'll see: none of these 'soooo dangerous' image files _is_ an image file.

Not just known file types... just get it to always show the file types
;)  That is one good thing about TB!, it warns you about double
extensions, even if you don't have them visible.  They changed some
code in Outlook/Outlook Express recently that won't let you execute
.exe files from inside the emails... a semi-good idea I guess.

--
Jonathan Angliss
([EMAIL PROTECTED])