Hi Jonathan,

JA> Then how would you explain viruses spreading via the .jpg and .gif
JA> formats?  They have 'code' in the headers that the viewer (in most
JA> cases IE) reads and 'executes'... which causes infection.

I've never heard of that and I don't think it's true; these formats
have no executable code inside, and browsers make no attempt to
execute them. However, what does exist is filenames with a double
extension, such as "naked.gif.exe" or "bigones.jpg.scr". Those
filenames display as naked.gif and bigones.jpg in most programs, but
are in fact executable, and some viruses make use of this.

Regards,

-Daan-