Hello Marck,

MDP> MDP>> Not to me! Why does an email client and an email address list
MDP> MDP>> need all of that data?

JK>> Well I NEED an address book in my email client and I NEED an address
JK>> book in my "Diary".

MDP> But that's fuzzy thinking because of language. You NEED a PIM with an address
MDP> book and a diary. You NEED an email client with an *email address
MDP> manager*. An email address is *not* a physical address. You do
MDP> different things with it.

Why would we want to manage more than one address book. info
about people needs to track all address/phone/fax/email ---
whatever info about people...

JK>> It seems sensible to me to have one address book with the
JK>> information I need in it,

MDP> Why not have one database with every single piece of information about
MDP> everything you keep on your computer in it? I say keep unrelated things
MDP> separate. The only things in common *might* be contact names. Why
MDP> might? Because how you address someone in a letter or on the phone
MDP> often differs from how you refer to them in email. It certainly does
MDP> for me.
however, if you are using your contact book for regular paper
mail and/or email it makes sense to keep it all in one place and
use whatever software to reference it.

MDP> This is the point I'm trying to make. You are being blinkered by the
MDP> term "Address Book" and can't see the different functions performed by
MDP> both. Why does your PIM need to have an email reply template embedded
MDP> in it? Why does your email address manager need a phone number?
the address manager is really a contact manager..and it should
have all types of identifiers that people use.. such as fax,
phone, cell, email, web site, whatever... those fields should be
stored once.... and useable by any ODBC compliant software.

MDP> suggest that neither need to encroach on the other's areas of
MDP> expertise and that both are required and should be separate.

I disagree.  I don't think functions of applications (ie. palm
email reply template)  should be in
the address book but it definitely should be part of the PIM
software, linking to the address book or contact manager
(whatever you want to call it), Any data about people should definitely be
kept in one place and referenced by whatever application needs
such data.

just my .02

 Laura                            mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]