Hallo Barry,

On Wed, 19 Mar 2003 11:48:31 +0000GMT (19-3-03, 12:48 +0100, where I
live), you wrote:

BH> I have a recent problem downloading mail with large file
BH> attachments.

BH> Is this a TB problem?

Just downloaded a message with with a 5.5 and a 5.7 MB attachment,
went just fine.

BH> My ISP tells me there are no problems at their end, but they would
BH> wouldn't they. :>)

Not sure how honest your ISP is, but it might be the combination
of their server and TB. It might be a firewall or virusscanner on your
side (try to disable those). It might even be a bad luck spell some
voodoo type guy cast on your connectivity.

BH> I successfully retrieved the file using their webmail service
BH> which they tell me uses IMAP. Their answer is that POP is not
BH> designed for handling large files.

They're right about pop3 not being designed with large files in mind.
But I'm not sure whether the designers of imap had those in mind
either. The whole mail system was designed for text only. Just look at
my two attachments, together they were 12.2 MB, but the message that
had them encoded was 15.8 MB, that's 30% overhead. The most efficient
way to transport files is to upload them to your homepage and send
your contacts a link that points to the file.

--
Groetjes, Roelof