Dear Christopher,

@5-Apr-2004, 15:42 -0700 (05-Apr 23:42 UK time) Christopher Brown
[CB] in mid:[EMAIL PROTECTED] said to Marck:

MDP>> Please use a different server or disable the scanners! I was
MDP>> meaning to write to you - you may just get a warning - I
MDP>> actually have to approve your posts manually each time :-(.

CB> What does that mean? I don't understand. First, whats wrong
CB> with the scanners? Why are they causing a problem?

It's because they are adding non-standard headers to the message.
They shouldn't do that to outbound messages. It's breaking
standards.

CB> How could information that was intended to curb abuse be
CB> suspicious?

Because it does not conform to standards - any standards. They are
completely arbitrary. The list server software hasn't got a clue
what they are and can't read English. It just sees them as
non-standard and therefore suspicious.

CB> Second, what does the ominously-hyphenated 'you may just get a
CB> warning' mean? [In my best Bungholio voice] Are you threatening
CB> me?

No - you *get* an automatic warning from the list server for the
fact the message contains "suspicious headers"

CB> The only information I got from your email is that you have
CB> to approve my posts manually, which I knew already.

Okay - I wasn't sure you appreciated that fact.

CB> Here is what I do know. I am using my mail server on its default
CB> settings, I have never touched it, never tweaked anything. I
CB> have never spammed anyone in my life, I have never mis-used a
CB> system.

So why do you need to have your messages soiled with non-standard
headers to certify that as a fact? They are totally redundant. You
use TB - you're not going to send out a virus. You may be a spammer
- such headers can easily be faked and contain spoofed tracking
data. The headers have zero value to anyone.

Bill Blinn also had such headers added to his messages and was kind
enough to either turn them off or use an alternate routing that
didn't add them. Please consider doing the same. I'd really
appreciate it if I didn't have to keep approving your posts.

CB> I might venture to say that if my posts are raising
CB> flags, perhaps the system could un-clench its butt-cheecks a
CB> bit?

Not a possibility - That's the way mailman does it and it's not
configurable :-(. We've looked and tried and even asked the support
group. There's nothing *we* can do. Over to you.

--
Cheers -- //.arck D Pearlstone -- List moderator
SB! v2.05 Beta/14 on Windows XP 5.1.2600 Service Pack 1