Hallo Deborah,

On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 21:38:00 -0400 (EDT)GMT (22-9-2004, 3:38 +0200,
where I live), you wrote:
me>>> HELP, please. I can't send or receive mail ... The first
me>>> message downloads, but it stays on the server.
Roelof Otten>> ... you could try to change your
Roelof Otten>> settings to leave mail on server for 60 days ...
DS> That's not practical. I can fill up the 10 MB allowed by my
DS> ISP in less than a week.

It wasn't meant as a permanent solution, but as temporary one, because
leaving mail on server keeps TB from downloading the same message
again when the download is aborted.

I didn't mention it in my previous message, but did you check whether
you've got a lot of bat*.tmp files in your temp directory? If so
delete them. They're generally caused by this kind of problems, but
they tend to worsen them too.

You've said that it's the second message that won't download. Is that
always the same message? (Since you've deleted quite a bit manually.)

What you could try too, is to disable both your virus scanner and
firewall (I presume that you're running a variety of both), just to
check whether one of them is causing problems with your download.

Finally you could try whether somebody else can download your mail for
you and put it in a .zip or .rar archive available for download. So
your mailbox will be empty since all possible obstructive mails will
be deleted. And you could try with a fresh box. Keep in mind that this
means that that other person will have access to your mail until you
change your password (if you can), so a certain amount of trust has to
be present.

DS> However, on another account, I unticked "use POP before
DS> SMTP," and ticked "use SMTP authentication," "use specific
DS> settings" (and put in mail address and password)--and that worked
DS> for a test mail to myself. Or at least it SEEMED to. Still can't
DS> download.

One down, one to go.

DS> --

BTW, your signature delimiter is lacking its trailing space. I do
realize that you're using webmail (in spite of what you're stating
below), so you might not have sufficient control over what's being
sent, but nevertheless it's broken.

--
Groetjes, Roelof

The Bat! 3.0.0.16
Windows XP 5.1 Build 2600 Service Pack 1
1 pop3 account, server on LAN

Disclaimer: Any opinion stated in this message is not necessarily shared by my budgies
or rabbits.