For us, if it's mission critical (primary servers, SAN storage array,
etc), it's on 4 hour service contracts. Everything else (hardware
wise) has spares (warm spares, if possible).

I'm rapidly moving 75% of my machines virtual, which lowers the number
of pieces of hardware needed to be kept on warranty, but still
maintaining enough for high availability. The thing that I don't keep
enough of is network devices. Our primary and secondary sites have
redundant network connections, complete with clustered routers,
firewalls, switches, and load balancers, but my end-user sites have
"cold standbys", which is a kind way of saying "mothballed, old
unconfigured hardware". That's something I want to work on when the
budget improves.

--Matt

--
LITTLE GIRL: But which cookie will you eat FIRST?
COOKIE MONSTER: Me think you have misconception of cookie-eating process.