> From: tech-boun...@lopsa.org [mailto:tech-boun...@lopsa.org] On Behalf
> Of John BORIS
>
> I am
> looking
> for some type of guide or spec that would say when it is best to use a
> Home run to Network Center or to set up a Terminal Closet and have just
> one (with a spare) run back to the Network Center.

I don't think there's a two-word rule of thumb for this.  It's a function of
cost, speed, and distance.

When the wiring folks come and hook things up, they'll generally charge per
network drop (approximately) and the charge per drop will in part be based
on the length of the run.  Think of the cost as being modeled flat rate per
drop + average length per drop.  When the wiring folks provide an estimate
or quotation for you, they're not going to measure every single length and
apply a precise formula...  They're going to guess and estimate.

As far as cost is concerned, the best thing you can do is this:  Provide a
floor layout plan to the wiring folks, with marks & numbers indicating how
many drops in which locations.  Ask them if they think there is a cost
benefit to multiple network closets.

As far as speed is concerned ... Remember, if you have multiple closets
connected via some sort of backbone, the backbone is a bottleneck.  If you
just need to provide basic internet to a bunch of peoples' laptops, probably
no big deal.  But if you have two datacenters on the floor with file servers
or some other network-intensive application, communicating between each
other, then maybe the speed bottleneck is a big concern.

As far as distance is concerned...  Roughly speaking, 100' or 200' or so is
ok for a maximum length copper ethernet.  Although the spec says something
like 325, my experience says you're pushing it at 200'.  The consequence of
wire being too long is lost packets, burned out network cards, or no link.
Be sure to account for indirect wire routing, around objects in the ceiling,
etc, and overestimate the length by at least 20%.  You can compensate in
some cases, for long distances by using better-than-needed wires.  For
example ... I always use cat6, even if I'm only going to be running 10/100
or 1G.  This is mostly a superstition on my part, and less scientific.
Although you can run 1G over cat5e, the cost differential between types of
cable is pretty negligible.

If you need to cover more distance than that, you need a fibre run, which
costs more.