Ned,
Thanks for the pointers. The cost factor isn't in play here as when and
if this gets accomplished the school may not go with a wiring company
but rely on in house help to get it accomplished. I truly understand the
cost factor.  Most of the drops on this network are used for printing,
Internet (Email, normal surfing hopefully job related), an application
that uses ssh and Remote Desktop applications.

The reason for the look at rewiring is a recent outage on this LAN that
got me involved. This LAN is the administrative LAN and not the
educational side which seems to run okay (knock on simulated wood).

The 100' seems to be the magic number. Going to Cat6 when they upgrade
is a great suggestion. It will at least get them in the mode for future
upgrades.

Thanks again. This gives me some peace of mind that I am going in the
right direction.
>>> "Edward Ned Harvey" <lop...@nedharvey.com> 9/29/2010 8:54 PM >>>
> From: tech-boun...@lopsa.org [mailto:tech-boun...@lopsa.org] On
Behalf
> Of John BORIS
>
> I am
> looking
> for some type of guide or spec that would say when it is best to use
> Home run to Network Center or to set up a Terminal Closet and have
just
> one (with a spare) run back to the Network Center.

I don't think there's a two-word rule of thumb for this.  It's a
function of
cost, speed, and distance.

When the wiring folks come and hook things up, they'll generally charge
per
network drop (approximately) and the charge per drop will in part be
based
on the length of the run.  Think of the cost as being modeled flat rate
per
drop + average length per drop.  When the wiring folks provide an
estimate
or quotation for you, they're not going to measure every single length
and
apply a precise formula...  They're going to guess and estimate.

As far as cost is concerned, the best thing you can do is this:
Provide a
floor layout plan to the wiring folks, with marks & numbers indicating
how
many drops in which locations.  Ask them if they think there is a cost
benefit to multiple network closets.

As far as speed is concerned ... Remember, if you have multiple
closets
connected via some sort of backbone, the backbone is a bottleneck.  If
you
just need to provide basic internet to a bunch of peoples' laptops,
probably
no big deal.  But if you have two datacenters on the floor with file
servers
or some other network-intensive application, communicating between
each
other, then maybe the speed bottleneck is a big concern.

As far as distance is concerned...  Roughly speaking, 100' or 200' or
so is
ok for a maximum length copper ethernet.  Although the spec says
something
like 325, my experience says you're pushing it at 200'.  The
consequence of
wire being too long is lost packets, burned out network cards, or no
link.
Be sure to account for indirect wire routing, around objects in the
ceiling,
etc, and overestimate the length by at least 20%.  You can compensate
in
some cases, for long distances by using better-than-needed wires.  For
example ... I always use cat6, even if I'm only going to be running
10/100
or 1G.  This is mostly a superstition on my part, and less scientific.
Although you can run 1G over cat5e, the cost differential between types
of
cable is pretty negligible.

If you need to cover more distance than that, you need a fibre run,
which
costs more.

John J. Boris, Sr.
JEN-A-SyS Administrator
Archdiocese of Philadelphia
"Remember! That light at the end of the tunnel
Just might be the headlight of an oncoming train!"