> From: tech-boun...@lopsa.org [mailto:tech-boun...@lopsa.org] On Behalf
> Of Doug Hughes
>
>   From my perspective, even in a data-center without significant walls,
> I put a switch in each rack. It's just much easier to upgrade things
> that way, and there's less cabling (by a huge lot) when you can
> aggregate higher bandwidth links in few quantities to a central place.
>
> We tend to upgrade in rack-ish units, anyway. I'm not a big fan of home
> run. The extra cabling is difficult to manage properly and is expensive
> to replace when obsolete. I'd make the long haul links fiber. It's a
> little bit more expensive at the start, but you are much more future
> proof on bandwidth. Run 50micron fiber instead of 62.5. 62.5 is more
> common, but the incremental price is minimal and the 50 micro MMF can
> get much longer distances at the same bandwidth.  For the 150feet you'd
> be pushing it for 10G at 62.5 micron.

I think it sounds like you're making the assumption that there will be
equipment in the various racks scattered about.  I've wired a lot of offices
where all the servers etc are located in a single closet, and if there's
another closet located out there somewhere ... The 2nd closet is nothing but
network cables.  Generally for the sake of having a network closet within
Ethernet copper cabling range.