olivier vogel writes:

> Le jeu 17/06/2004 à 09:03, Jean-Pierre Coulon a écrit :
>
> > Dear Olivier,
> >
> > I do remember something like
> > \usepackage[cp800]{inputenc}\usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
> > to make any TeX distribution understand accented letters as their show up
> > with DOS EDIT, but this is off-topic. The problem I was raising is the same
> > whether you type Ë or \"E.
>
> > I didn't find any plainenc file on my distribution, and I want a source that
> > works on *any* TeX distribution. Did anybody try this plainenc on pdftex ?
>
> You can find plainenc here:
>
> http://www.tug.org/tex-archive/language/vietnamese/vntex/tex/generic/vietnam/plainenc.tex

there's a (slightly) more up-to-date version on

http://www.tex.ac.uk/tex-archive/macros/latex/contrib/t2/cyrplain/plainenc.tex

(or of course on any ctan, not just mirrors like www.tug.org)

> Of course this file works on any TeX distribution, but is perhaps not
> included with any distribution, as MusiXTeX ;-)

it's in tetex 2.0 at least, and somewhere in current miktex (i have a
full miktex, and can't say which miktex package it's actually in, but
"t2" would seem a good guess)

> The solution that I propose works perfectly with pdftex too.

it would; it's addressing system-independent things.

robin