> >> I tried this, but it does not work with the T1 font encoding. Using
> >> default font encoding, it works. Anyone has a clue why? (Using
> >> MikTeX).
> > The problem is due to the fact that you need to use the EC fonts
> > instead
> > of the CM fonts. There is two solutions:
>
> Let us take one step backwards. I know I asked why T1 font encoding
> didn't work, but since ordinary TeX font encoding works, why should I
> use T1 fonts anyway? I use T1 fonts because everybody else seem to
> recommend it, but I really don't know why. What is the advantages over
> TeX fonts?

with knuth's original encoding, you can't hyphenate accented words in
ordinary tex.  (quite apart from the serious weirdness of the character
positioning in the encoding...)

> As you might understand, I'm not an expert on TeX. At least, not yet. :-)

all this stuff is explained in my faq.  but i wouldn't recommend
ecplain.tex (since it's not free) and i don't know of any alternative
... so i don't offer any method for dealing with t1 fonts in plain.

robin

maintainer of http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq