Is this piccolo music?

The first one doesn't work because of the position of \Toctfin . I guess
that's pretty obvious since that's all you changed. But in the first case
it's the very last item in the excerpt, and PMX will probably never
recognize Type 1 in-line TeX in that location.

The PMX manual pmx250.pdf says "Type 1 begins with a single \ and will
appear in the .tex file right before the TeX command for the next note or
rest in the .pmx ?le." If there is no next note or rest, you've obviously
violated PMX's rules and are being punished accordingly. But that may not be
all you need to worry about. In truth, you might be able to cook up some
cases where there IS a next note or rest, but there are some other PMX
things in between, and it might still work. PMX does not screen for such
occurrances and the results are unpredictable. To maximize the chances that
Type 1 works correctly, put it IMMEDIATELY before the PMX command for a note
or rest.

\toctfin1 doesn't work because \toctfin is shorthand for \Toctfin0 . It does
seem that there's an error in pmxccn.pdf . And even if the reference were
changed to \Toctfin1 , there's still and issue with its positioning.
Cornelius?

--Don Simons