On Fri, 24 Jun 2011, Terrence Enger wrote:

For the terminally curious, I attach an image of the part of the
manuscript which led me into this situation.

I cannot answer, but may I express a personal opinion?

You have 2 slurs and 2 ties. For the musician who reads the piece it is rather difficult to rapidly play each one correctly.

Therefore I think you should notate the ties only. Due to the rather legato character of this piece the average musican will certainly guess that the "changing" notes must be played legato.

Regards,
--
Jean-Pierre Coulon                  cou...@obs-nice.fr