On Fri, 2011-06-24 at 15:26 +0200, Jean-Pierre Coulon wrote:
> On Fri, 24 Jun 2011, Terrence Enger wrote:
>
> > For the terminally curious, I attach an image of the part of the
> > manuscript which led me into this situation.
>
> I cannot answer, but may I express a personal opinion?

Of course.

> You have 2 slurs and 2 ties. For the musician who reads the piece it is
> rather
> difficult to rapidly play each one correctly.
>
> Therefore I think you should notate the ties only. Due to the rather legato
> character of this piece the average musican

<aside>

My spell checker objects, but that's how Deral Johnson
<http://thewholenote.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=4837:deral-johnson&catid=102:wholenote-blog&Itemid=222>
 used to say it, so I like it.  Especially when he was accusing us of being
mechanical or inattentive: "Come on, you musicans!"

I remember being in a conversation with him in a corridor.  An
undergraduate--oh-so-young, oh-so-sweet, oh-so-timid--came up and asked
if she could bother him.  His response, in high dudgeon, was "Absolutely
not."  But then, with the utmost graciousness, he added "But I would be
*delighted* were you to interrupt."

</aside>

>                                             will certainly guess that the
> "changing" notes must be played legato.

Just for reference, the manuscript in question is
<http://erato.uvt.nl/files/imglnks/usimg/b/b1/IMSLP28202-PMLP61902-Grieg_Andante_con_moto_EG_116.pdf>.

I have been trying quite hard to follow the manuscript closely.  I do
not know of any printed version of this music; google keeps leading me
back to the manuscript image from which I am working.  (There is,
however, a commercial recording.  Now if my latest customer will just
get around to paying that last big invoice ... <grin />)

I have divided purposes here (even beyond learning the typesetting).  I
think I would like to try playing the piece.  (I have roped in a
cellist, looking for a violinist, am somewhat worried that our pianist
(yikes, that's me!) may not be up to the job.)  Meanwhile, I hope to
have something worth contributing back to imslp.org.  For this last
purpose, I think faithfulness to the original trumps practicality.

An important upcoming decision is the treatment of Grieg's pencilled-in
revisions.  Especially in the last three measures, they are quite thick
upon the page.  If I can figure out how to do an "ossia" in pmx, then I
can punt the decision to the reader by entering the music both ways.

So, I guess I am saying that I shall see it as an accomplishment if I
can reach the point where practicality is relevant.  It is by no means
clear that I shall persist that far.

Sigh.