I wrote

>Read... says that if individual chord notes are tied, then draw the
>individual ties, and if there are more than two of them, the outer ones
>should curve oppositely. But if any notes of successive chords are slurred,
>then only one slur should be drawn, either above or below the chord.

Sorry, I'm afraid I misrepresented what Read said. And every time I read it
I see different subtleties. My latest reading, with caps for emphasis, is

1. If chords move IN PARALLEL, only one slur mark is needed.
2.When one or more notes are tied and the chords are connected with A slur,
the tieS loop in the opposite direction from the slur. He gives 6 examples
where one or two notes are tied and the chords are connected by a single
slur curved oppositely from the tie(s).

So I would infer from the examples in #2 that (a) rule #1 is NOT restricted
to purely parallel motion, even though he gives no example where no notes
are common and tied but some move by different intervals than others, and
(b) if two notes are tied the two ties should curve in the same direction.
One might even infer that if more than two notes are tied, all the ties
should curve the same way, but no examples confirm that.

--Don