From: Stephen Fleming
Sent: Thursday, May 08, 2014 9:05 AM
To: Peter Jones
Cc: NM Caver List ; DONALD G. DAVIS
Subject: Re: [SWR] Oklahoma removed from list of suspected bat fungus areas

On Thu, May 8, 2014 at 7:38 AM, Peter Jones <pjca...@gwi.net> wrote:

  Although the spread of WNS through the human vector is all but debunked at
this point

When was it ever a viable theory? Pure fantasy. Just knee jerk hysteria from
the get-go. Widely touted, never remotely demonstrated in field conditions, but
accepted as fact in a gross perversion of scientific inquiry.

- Pervasive fear drove it, nothing else. Hell, maybe it was “hybernating” bears
that carried the spores from cave to cave. Equally logical since a bear spends
a lot more time in caves than humans... .

As much a pain in the ass as doing the full scale decon is, it's as much a sign
that we care as cavers to help slow down the spread of the disease, whether it
is effective or not.

Cosmetic, feel good, actions do ABSOLUTELY nothing to affect any situation.
Decon is as effective as carrying an umbrella to ward off meteorites.

- Come August I’ll give that idea a try. Not enough meteoric action right now.
- Cosmetic actions can even be detrimental to achieving the actual goal. Ever
seen Tammy Faye Baker pictures? Feel good actions (warm fuzzies) simply
sugar-coat Calvin’s Chocolate-Frosted Sugar Bombs cereal. They pejorate goal
achievement.

Accepting a bogus process and requirement does not demonstrate "care", it only
demonstrates ignorance and surrender.

As long as cavers do not oppose such frauds they will be prisoners of their own
failure to employ reason and expect the same from others. Such a posture only
enables agencies to do what they wish without a shred of factual data to
support their actions and agendas.

- Such actions were employed in WWII by a group of ultimate rednecks called
Gestapo. We’re looking at the same thing here and now. Seventy is the new 50,
and BLM is the new ”Cave Gestapo”.

I've stayed out of this for some months, but my demand is still the same. Show
me the evidence or stop the charade and reopen the caves.

- Absolutely correct. Time for the Cave Gestapo to put up or open up.

Perhaps if others made the same demand we'd make some progress.

Stephen

E ^v^