I think the discussion revolves around the possibility of using drones to
replace maypoles for difficult rope placement.  Cavers already use technology
for rappelling, lighting and ascending. Drones may offer a way to access
ceiling leads that are now considered inaccessible. I am old enough to remember
a lot of heated arguments over Jumars; as in “Why do we need these fancy Jumars
when we already have prussik knots!”  ;-)