As others have said, I think there is a lot of room for improvement in tooling
that is more end-user friendly yet can still leverage the power of Therion in
the background to compile maps, stats, etc.

I've built some software for a specialized survey project I've been working on
to ease managing the data, redefining symbols, etc.  I have a web interface to
import and manage survey data, it is all stored in a SQL database.  I then
create th and th2 files programmatically when I wish to compile a PDF map.
There are some advantages to this approach as I can do things like easily
generate my own KML files using some symbology I've developed, easily query the
database to do shortest path searches between two survey stations, or make
changes to my Therion input file structure that I'd otherwise have to manually
edit hundreds of .th and .th2 files to achieve.

Unfortunately my program has been specialized for a very specific survey
project, and does not have the right features to serve as a general purpose
data management tool and is not available for general release.  But the lesson
I've learned is that there is a lot of power behind being able to access and
modify the data in more advanced ways then simply editing text files, also that
to implement an easy, powerful and flexible GUI to do this is not a quick
project :P

Carl