Hallo rtimwest,

rtimwest <rtimw...@gmail.com> schrieb am 04.06.2009 16:17 Uhr:
> I contacted the folks at New Earth Time through their web page about
> the apparent conflict between the GPL(s), Creative Commons License,
> and their copyright notice that states that explicit permission must
> be obtained in order to "distribute" or use NET commercially. AFAIK,
> the Creative Commons License allows commercial use, and the GPL does,
> but with stipulations intended to ENSURE free distribution, not
> restrict it.

English is not my native language (far from it), but I understand the
statement on the NET website as focussed on 'commercialization', not
distributing. But I'm fully agree with your arguments that this point
needs a clear explanation from degree NET Ltd.

The used terminology ('The [...] concept is intellectual property of')
doesn't sound like an invitation to use the concept.

> I received a short but polite response from Mark Laugesen, who has
> "New Earth Time, Canberra" in his e-mail sig. He expressed some
> interest in TiddlyWiki, and also expressed regret at the situation,
> but made no concrete offers or promises to change anything.

In my humble opinion ist doesn't help - nor you for distributing the
plugin, neither the propagation of NET.

> I'm not all all certain that they could make this stick- it seems to
> me unlikely that dividing the day into 360 units is the sort of thing
> that can be protected by copyright, although they can probably at
> least do that with the name. The CONCEPT would only be patentable (in
> theory) if there were no prior examples... but IANAL, and have no
> vested interest in contesting their claims or promoting their idea
> against their wishes.

I'm fully agree and I'm sure, that there are a lot of regions on earth
where such concepts never will get a protection by law.

> Accordingly, the prototype program NETTimePlugin has been removed from
> my accessible sites, even in it's pre-release form, even though it was
> not linked to, to prevent any possibility of "distribution".

It's a pity! Again for both - te concept and your implemtation. But I
understand your irritations and support this decision.

Regards!
Dirk