Morris,

Sigh.

My first reaction was to comply with your request, and I was just
about to, but... to what end?

I contacted Mark Laugesen through their public website, just as you
can. If the object is to persuade for freer use of the system in
question, it seems to me you stand a much better chance by starting a
new conversation. Confronting anyone with a noncommittal response that
they gave earlier is unlikely to help. You are a vocal proponent of
the system they claim to have created, which I think they would find
at least gratifying, even flattering. In many ways, you and they are
on "the same side". I, on the other hand, have been mostly a
(hopefully polite) critic. I've openly said that I think there are
better (and apparently less encumbered) alternatives. If you want to
be persuasive it seems likely that there will be a much better chance
of good result if you contact them on your own behalf and express your
interest in promoting the system they are themselves promoting. Don't
see a reason for my continued involvement.

If, on the other hand, you're starting from the position that this is
inevitably headed toward a court contest (which you seem to welcome),
not only will it be over a system that I have no personal interest in,
but forgive me, there's some disincentive to my getting involved in a
litigation war taking place on the far side of the planet and under an
unfamiliar legal system not my own.

When I gave you a copy of the prototype NET program, it was clearly
labeled, in the comments/header, as a "prototype" and "not for
distribution". I did that much largely as a favor to you personally,
but also to be open about accommodating the preferences of others as
well as my own. Thus far, I think I've complied fully with the express
desires of any and all claiming rights to it, whether those rights are
as the claimed creators or as members of the general public. It seems
now that you're about to steer this in a direction that may cause me
to regret even that degree of accommodation. If your intent is to
start a legal battle over it, sorry, but it will be your battle, not
anything I signed on for.

I think this is an over-reaction to the situation. You want to promote
this system. They want to promote this system. Having advocates
publicly quarreling is not going to promote this system. Even though
he did not contradict my interpretation of what's posted on their
website, Mr. Laugesen expressed regret that the system could not be
included in future versions, and said they need to get the licensing
formalized so that this situation does not occur in the future. While
not granting any clear way to proceed at this time, that's hardly a
confrontational position. Why turn it into one?

T.