On Tuesday, August 11, 2020 at 6:13:53 PM UTC+2, Saq Imtiaz wrote:

> It's actually really nice to get some detailed feedback from real world
> usage, so firstly, thank you!

I did like the fast workflow very much!

> I probably haven't tried quite so hard to make time to work on Streams
> recently since there has been radio silence around it, which would suggest
> it is either perfect (hah!) or that no one is using it.

:)

6) I use [!is[shadow]has[stream-type]]  as a stream enable filter. This may
>> change in the future.
>>

> I welcome suggestions for a sensible default for this.

Yea, I didn't want to have it with every tiddler. ... But my choice needs a
manual input of the "stream-type: default" field. So I think I'd need to
make a new button. .. So we need a "Streams Icon" ... @anyone?

>> 7) I use this line <$vars
>> stream-root-title={{{[<currentTiddler>split[/]limit[1]]}}} in the
>> nodes-list-template. So tiddler names are created as shown in 5) .. NO
>> long node names. ... The disadvantage is, that "sub streams" don't get a (+)
>> new Node button ... Only the "main stream" tiddler has this button. ..
>>

> So two things to address here:
> i) have you tried setting this format for tiddler titles in
> $:/config/sq/streams/new-node-title, instead of changing the stream-root
> variable:
> {{{[<stream-root-title>split[/]limit[1]]}}}/<<now
> "[UTC]YYYY0MM0DD0hh0mm0ssXXX">>
> I think this will accomplish the same thing without the need for editing
> nodes-list-template, which may cause issues with the drag and drop code as
> well.

You are right. That seems to fix the next problem for me too!

> ii) it was a design decision to only have the (+) add node button on the
> root stream, and not the sub nodes. I now see this isn't convenient. This
> will be changed, thank you for pointing it out.

Sorry. I wasn't clear enough. ... I meant "sub nodes" in a separated
tiddler. ... But as written above. Your new-node-title construction seems
to fix both problems, that I had with my "hacks"

>> 8) I do like the tiddler-title format as shown in 5), because it
>> automatically creates a visible "timeline", when the nodes have been taken
>> and the core <<tree "DAT-CON/">> macro will be able to deal with it
>> after I did create a new "leaf template" for the macro.
>

> Could you point out the leaf template please? I'd like to add examples
> like these to the documentation.

I'm not sure, what I actually want, yet. ... So I'll update the DAT-CONF
link once I've done more refactoring. ... As you know, I also want to make
my tocP macro usable with the stream structure. But I'm not sure, if I
should show the "first line of text" or if I should use "caption" or
"subtitle".

>> *My personal hickups* ;)
>>
>> a) I did notice again, that I can't deal with hidden information.
>>     a.1) I need the "stream-node-collapser" to be visible as soon as
>> child elements exist, similar to "toc-selective-expandable"
>>     a.2) Waiting for the hover effect doesn't work for me.
>>     a.3) I need the "collapser" to be in a different colour.
>>

> This is really just down to a design decision try and find balance between
> usability and clutter where possible, but you have a very valid point. I'd
> love to get more user feedback in order to establish a sensible default,
> while allowing this to be customizable. Since this is just CSS, it can be
> easily made into a config option that toggles some css in the stylesheet.

At the DAT-CON I did a little bit of CSS tweaking
<http://dat-conf-2020.tiddlyspot.com/#CSS> between the video sessions. ...
So I could go on with taking notes ;)

>> b) I need the cheat sheet to be tagged $:/tags/SideBar so I can have it
>> open all the time in the sidebar
>>

> I'd actually love some help with tidying up that tiddler to improve
> readability.
>
> Regarding keyboard shortcuts, the bottom line is that they need to be made
> configurable since everyone willl have different needs and expectations.

That's right. As I wrote, during a session it's "kind of" OK. .... But the
next day I tend to mess it up, at the beginning.

> - Enter - save and create new node with text after cursor -> *For me
>> personally this functionality is frustrating without an Undo :/ *Especially
>> in "refactoring mode" a day later.
>>

> There is actually commented out code in Streams right now that handles an
> undo. I haven't made that active yet for two reasons:
> i) I want to add a confirmation both for splitting the text at the cursor,
> and for merging back with the previous node
> ii) I have an idea to separate out all such "word processor" features to a
> separate sub-plugin

OK

> - Alt+Enter - split longer text into multiple nodes. I need a *confirmation
>> dialogue*, even if it is slower. .. Fixing the problem if hitting this
>> combination by accident is a 100 times more time consuming
>>

> A confirmation dialogue makes sense and will be added.
>
> Thank you again for the detailed feedback, I've added notes on to my local
> copy of the Roadmap and will push it to github once I've had the chance to
> tidy it up.

You are welcome!

-mario