I don't know if it meets your criteria for 'elegant', but try
https://kookma.github.io/TW-Searchwikis/

In a nutshell, you create indexes in content wikis, transfer the indexes to
a central index wiki, and it searches the indexes and the links are links
to the tiddlers in the content wikis.

See an early, modified version of it in action at my Spanish site
https://giffmex.org/wiki/.  'testamento' is the search term in the busqueda
tab, and below the search window you can see the results from the indexes
of numerous files. The links are external links to the tiddlers in other
files that contain the content.

The only drawback to this is that you need to remember to redo the index
each time you edit the file, and also add the index tiddler to the central
file where the search is. Since both of the people posting here are only
talking about two files total, that makes it easy.